Wild Yarn
Friday, December 03, 2004
  Ear Flap Hat Primer
I've had a few people ask about the pattern for the ear flap hat and have shared the info in various e-mails and such but know I'm putting it here. So get out your pens and paper (if anyone still uses them):

Make a skully from your favorite source. Mine are all hdc. After the sully is the size you need finish off. Now from where you finished off count over between 9 and 10 stitches and attach yarn.
For Adult hat the flaps are as follows:
16 sts
16sts
14 sts (this is a decrease row: hdc, 2 hdc together, hdc in next 10, 2hdc together, hdc in last space)
14sts
12 (dec row)
10 (dec row)
10
8
6
4
4

Childs flaps are as follows:
12
12
10
10
8
6
4
4

Go back to back of hat where you finished off and count over the same 9 or 10 spaces and do the same for the second flap. I edge mine in a contrasting color (usually one of the stripe colors in the body of the hat) and when you get to the point of the flap ch 16 or so and sl st back up to make the attachment for the pom pom or tassel. That simple.

When I say a childs hat, I made mine for my son who is 8 and these flaps look good on him--not like Dumbo or something. I hope this is a good starting point for you all who want to try one. They are fun. Let me know how yours turn out and please ask questions if any of this was unclear.

Thanks for all of the comments on my blog, by the way---I love to hear from people who read this. Makes me feel like I'm not talking to myself. Have a great day and a fun weekend!!

Peace~DAWN

 
|



<< Home
. . .the Fiber of Life

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee