- I'm just crocheting my heart out right now. I am in three swaps! Can anyone say, "more than you can chew"? No, no. It will be fine. I just have a horrible habit of thinking I have to do it all at once instead of breaking things down and accomplishing one thing at a time. So after the initial, "holy, shit" phase wears off, I'm good to go.
- I've come up with a cute little pattern, but can't show you the pics yet because I want it to be a surprise for the recipient. Now I know I'm assuming that she reads my blog, but you never know. I am so close to being done with the travel ghan I can hardly contain myself! I'm not going to curse myself with a deadline for it, but I will commit to "soon".
- I bought a cute little basket (it's more tall than wide) at Hobby Lobby last week on my yarn run. I got it to sit by my chair and hold the yarn of whatever project I'm working on at the moment. That way I can pull from the skein or ball and not have it flopping all over creation and gettin dog hair in it from the floor. I just love the convenience of it. Simple yet functional. What a motto.
- We are having some wicked Halloween type weather here lately. The past 4 mornings we have woken up to thick fog, which is erie on its own but add the time of year and it can really be creepy. Not to mention today is all drizzly and grey. Half bare trees and gusts of wind rattling the ones that are left hanging on. Tonite is trick or treating here in my town. Very bible belt-ie. Halloween on a Sunday!--whatever.
So go out have some fun and remember, the holidays are just around the corner, so don't stop your crocheting and knitting!
Lunar Eclipse and Secret Pals
- Lets start with the Lunar Eclipse that occured last nite. Did any of you go out and see it? It was beautiful! The moon had this orange tint to it as the total eclipse happened. I even howled at it trying to encourage my german shepard and beagle to join in the fun. Instead I howled alone as my huband held me and my son tried to take pictures of the moon. I'm sure my neighbors (if awake, because most of them are pretty old) thought I was insane and my husband was trying to restrain me.
- Next: I recieved the info on my Secret Pal from Crochetville! I'm so excited about the person I got. So, I will be planning lots of goodies to package and send her throughout the 3 month exchange. It's gonna be fun.
- I'm almost done with the travel ghan. I only have one panel of 6 squares to compete and the 4 square "pocket" to stuff the pillow in. It looks so awesome. I love the color combo I choose. I'm still working on the asymetrical poncho and need to get back to my sons afghan. He's gonna start feeling like he's at the bottom of the list if I don't get it done. It's so boring though. It's all done in single crochet and this whole diagonal thing has me freaked out that it won't turn out straight in the end. Arugggggh!
- Congrats to the Red Sox team. I'm not one for baseball, but I love it when an underdog comes out on top!!
Live, Love and Crochet the day away everyone! Peace~DAWN
Is it Christmas yet?
- Man oh man, it feels like Christmas is gaining on me fast! I've got projects out the you know what, but I really want to concentrate on the travel ghan and get that completed before it falls into the "l'll get back to that later" (which translates into it's lost forever). In the meantime, I worked up this little stocking from a pattern I got from Crochet Patterns Central. It is tiny and just enough work to be able to make them as Christmas gifts for my son's 3rd grade class. If you made it in thread you could probably wear it as a pin. Hmmmm......
- It has been some kind of beautiful around here weather wise. Cool in the mornings and then turning into an Indian Summer afternoon. I love that. Especially because I need to do some tidying in my gardens before it gets cold--I'm a hibernater. When cold weather is without, I'm within.
Guess I better get to it. Believe in yourself and let your creative nature lead the way!! Peace~DAWN
One of about 20 I'll make for 3rd grade class.
Lazy Windy Saturday
- I usually don't post on the weekends because my kids usually have the computer tied up with their own interests, but I got in today! My sister postponed her visit until tomorrow (which is better because the weather today is shity and I don't like planting in the wind). My husband has to work until 4p.m, my oldest is at his girlfriends house and my father is in N. Carolina for a family reunion. So, it is me and my other two boys and the dogs today. With it being so yuck out I have no gumption to do anything but sit on my butt. My sons have done plenty including cleaning up the poop in the yard, getting down the Halloween stuff from the attic (yes, I know there is only a week left) and mowing over the leaves in the yard to mulch them instead of raking. Wow, they've been busy. Lets see, what have I done....some laundry....some crochet....and talk on the phone with my sister. Wow, I am lazy today.
- I worked on some more of the squares for the travel ghan and it is coming along nicely. I also joined the stocking CAL at Crochetville because I found a pattern for the cutest little stockings and I want to make a bunch up for my youngest to give as gifts to his classmates at Christmas. I'll post a pic next week. I don't even have the energy for that today--how sorry is that.
- I've started the Alice Hoffman book (see side bar) and it is really good. I just love her writing style. She can really lay a story out there for you. Okay, enough rambling, I have blogs to read and projects to crochet... until Monday---Have a great weekend and tell someone how much you love and appreciate them today!!
- It's Homecoming at my boys High School. Yippie (whatever). They are so not into that sort of thing, must take after mom and dad. However, since my oldest plays football, we will be attending the game tonite. It will be a loooonnnnggggg one since they have to crown everyone, but hey, crowns are cool. Anyhow, it should be a nice nite for football; the chill in the air and the roar of the crowd. Got to love that!
- I have a request for the shoulder cape, soooo...... tune in on Mondays blog and I will have it posted. I don't know how to sideline it or link it or whatever, so it will just have to be a blog post (so sorry). It is super easy and great with chunky yarns. You can make it whatever length you want and size it for large or itty bitty depending on the number of beginning chains.
- On the shoulder wrap front. I have the pattern worked out now all I need is that darn yarn (hee hee). Oh, I can't wait. I really hope it turns out like I see it in my head. Plus I have yarn coming for two hats with earflaps and a shawl. Christmas gifts!!! Yeah!
- My sister is coming down tomorrow and she is bringing me flowers! She's a landscaper and she has been planting pansies galore and has some left over for me. Black pansies, Azure pansies and Red pansies. My planter boxes are gonna look spectacular for a few weeks more. Can't wait. Our dogwood trees are turning the most brilliant shade of red. They look like they are on fire! so bright and vibrant. I love the colors of fall.
Have a great weekend everyone and enjoy the fall weather wherever you are!! Peace~DAWN
Shoulder cape with rose closure.
Shoulder cape on red dress
The Pattern that Morphed
- Has that ever happened to you? You start a pattern and it turns into something else? Well, I did. Here is the result. Not bad. It's a shoulder cape. I'm still working on the shoulder wrap for the Fur Out yarn. I have a few days till the yarn arrives so there is plenty of time to work out the bugs--if I can stop the pattern from turning into something else, that is. This little number is really soft and warm! since it's made from light and lofty from RH. It really goes with this dress and a few other tops that I have. I really like it. If anyone is interested I'll post the pattern. If not, then I'll just save the blog space. Let me know.
- I don't know why my dress looks so splotchy in the photo. It's not like that in real life. Hmmmm, digital cameras.
Have a blessed day! Peace~DAWN
Working on a Pattern
- Yeah for me! I'm working on an original pattern for a shoulder wrap. I'm working it out in RH Light and Lofty, but the pattern is really gonna be for some Bernat Fur Out yarn I just ordered. I keep seeing in all the fashion mags these cool fur looking shoulder wraps or scarves. They usually have a satin ribbon on the ends to pull it together and they look so awesome. I want something nice to put over my shoulders when I go out with my husband on a nice dinner date ( my dresses usually have skinny straps and I get cold). This will be the perfect answer. So far I'm loving the way it is turning out and the best part is it is super quick and easy.
- I'm also working on the Asymatrical Poncho from Bella Online, however--that pattern design was so confusing for me to follow I finally frogged it after much cussing and am doing a pattern from the Simply Creative Crochet mag that I had to adjust for the dimensions I need plus the length. So far so good.
- And I'm working on the travel ghan for the Crochetville Pillowghan CAL. I have one compete row done and it is looking good. I love the simple soft yarn colors I choose. Here is a picture.
I'm outta here for some more pattern work. Have a good one and play nice. Peace ~DAWN
Travel Ghan squares. Aren't the colors awesome together!!
my bounty from Books-a-Million!
- Wow, seems like forever since I posted. I'm usually to busy on the weekend with family to post and yesterday I took off to Hobby Lobby for some -what else- yarn! I bought some TLC Amore for a shawl. Then I picked up some Essensials for a pillowghan for me and my hubby. I joined the pillowghan cal. at Crochetville and am doing 2 pillowghans. I'm a glutten for punishment.
- On my way home I stopped in at the local Books-a-Million and picked up a few things (see photo). I finally got the Simply Creative Crochet from Better Homes. Has some great projects in it. Also, I found this new mag called Breathe--check it out if you find it in your area. It's new and it's really awesome!! I got a new book to read. Of course it's Alice Hoffman (one of my favorites). She has a newer book out but it is in hard back and I will just have to wait. I also left the bookstore with a Chi Latte. One of the best treats out there. So I had a nice 40 minute ride back home.
- We had a devil of a storm here last nite and this morning it is still rainy and yuck out. My poor dad is bored out of his mind (he usually plays golf every morning), so today he is puttering around in the kitchen (God help me). Maybe he'll hook up with one of his friends later for lunch- Yep, there goes the pots and pans rattling around in there. Lord only knows what kind of a mess I'll have to clean up later.
- The Blue Hue Poncho went over very well. She loved it so much! I'm really glad. It was funny because the day after I gave it to her, I was at Wal-mart and my husband said, 'look over there'. And walking towards us was Peggy in her poncho and me in mine!! We looked like we were in some club. Very funny.
- My RAMS won their Monday nite game and I'm so happy!! Go Bruce #80!!!
Okay, enough of that. Have a good day and if you live were the leaves are changing get out there and soak it up!! Peace~ DAWN
The Blue Hue granny poncho from LB (I modefied the neckline and gave it a collar)
- Yeah! I finished the Blue Hue Poncho for the mom of my son's friend. It turned out so good I am tempted to keep it for myself. So I better get it out of the house and fast. She wanted a blue poncho in the LB Homespun that she could wear with blue jeans. She is really disappointed in the quality of the ponchos for sale in the stores and when she saw mine she flipped.
- Kudos to Sarah McLachlan for her video for the song "World on Fire". She donated all the money to make the video to several charities around the world and the people who worked on the video donated their time for free (big hand for them as well). The total cost of the video was around $15.00 for the cost of the tape. Wow! I think that kind of generosity and gift of spirit is what we all need to emulate and is what makes the world the kind of place we all want to live in.
Hope you all have a great day and let your light shine down on all those around you for all to see! Peace~DAWN
Grey and Chilly Wednesday
Hello all, not a whole lot going on. My sister and her husband left this morning with my mom's grand buffet. She will have a better place for it than we did here. They are traveling all the way to Wisconsin today and it looks as if they will be traveling through rain most of the way. Yuck! In crochet news, I'm almost done with the blue hue granny square poncho. Probably by tonite so I'll post a photo of it when it's complete. The lady said it was no hurry, but when someone is paying you for a piece, I hate to keep them waiting. So.... most of my other projects have been on hold. I did sneek in a complete row on my luna shawl. It is coming together nicely. This is gonna be my next project http://www.bellaonline.com/ArticlesP/art24740.asp at the bottom, click on "finish your poncho" for an even better perspective of it. I think it is really pretty. Have a good day!~DAWN
A Poem for All Mothers
- Today is different on the blog. I wrote a poem and wanted to share it with you all. If you are mothers you will understand (especially if your kids are older, if they are very young, you will grow to understand):
I hear the mothers talk
in my heart now.
It was there before, but not as loud.
Before it was a whisper,
white noise I could
It has grown more profound.
It stalks me when my children
aren't around and says
"get use to this- it's coming"
I get irritated at the dirt and the smells
at the quarrels (yeah, fights)
the civil disobediance
and smart mouth replies.
I bitch and I moan and sometimes I cry...
But I hear the mothers talk
more clear and more sound,
reminding me forever is an illusion,
that one day they won't be around.
So... I pick up the dirt and spray out the smells
I talk through the fights (okay, sometimes I YELL)
I encourage obediance
and kiss the smart mouths
I bitch and I moan and sometimes I cry
knowing my babies are learning to fly!
- Journal entry: It's about that universal mother whispering in your ear, "your kids are growing up and won't be yours forever- enjoy all aspects of them:. In other words embrace the bad with the good because you love them. My oldest inspired this poem because I realize he is growing up and away from me at the same time (inevitable, yes and hard).
- Well, I didn't get much crochet done this weekend. Friday nite me and my husband went on a date. On the way we stopped off at Hobby Lobby to pick up the yarn I needed for the blue poncho for my commission. Almost couldn't find the blue hues (they were really picked over due to the LB sale a few weeks ago and they haven't re-stocked yet).. What crocheter doesn't start out a romantic date with yarn shopping first?
- Saturday was the big Meet the Girlfriend Day and we went shopping in Nashville. My son's girlfriend is really nice and petite. We took them to the Olive Garden for dinner (she had never been there before!). It was fun. My other two sons were on good behavior. She thought the youngest was "so cute"-- brothers don't quite get that cause all they get at home is grief from the youngest. But he is cute.
- Sunday was get the house cleaned up day. One of my sisters is coming today to pick up a piece of furniture and I was using it so yesterday I had to clean it off and re-arrange my living room to accomedate the lose of a buffet. But it gives us more room and makes the space look less closed in. Now what to do with all the stuff?! The kids and husband cleaned the garage and did a great job. No more stepping over crap to get the to laundry area. How long it will last is up for bets.
- So as you can see crochet was at a minumum. I worked on my shawl between breaks and a little each morning. Now I have to start the poncho.
Tip: STRETCH- - Not only does it feel soooo good, but stretching also keeps your body flexible so it will do what you want, when you want. And studies show that regular stretching can also lead to weight loss. Here's how it works: When we stretch, we engage muscles that become more developed over time. Muscles take up less space in our bodies than fat, and they also burn a lot of calories to survive. So stretching effectively turns our bodies into fat-burning machines. Stretching is also a stress reliever. So stretch stretch stretch today and everyday. You'll thank me later, promise.
Got my Yarn!!
- Got my yarn yesterday and boy was I a happy lady! I started right away on the luna shawl. I've posted pics of what I've done so far. The yarn is probably finger weight yarn (where as the swatch I made up was worsted weight).. So there is a difference in apperance, but only slight. The name of the shawl came about because the shape of the shawl and pattern for some reason reminded me of those giant silkworm moths. Calling it that just didn't sound like something you would want to wear so, instead I named it after the Luna moth (which is green and has long tail-like bottom wings-- but I went for the sound of the name here and not accuracy).. Beside, it is a shawl you would most definately want to wear in the moon-light (luna)..
- I also got my Crochet Fantasy mag in the mail and found a pattern in there for a Shawl Collared Cardigan. Yes, I'm gonn make that too. I have a bunch of Woolease in Mink (which I love).. I've never made a garment other than a tank top so this should be interesting. I will take my time with this one because following lengthy patterns gives me a flippin' headache. It's pattern #14 in the Dec. issue, for anyone interested.
- Stumbled upon a blog this morning that really piqued my interest. http://www.miracole.blogspot.com Knit Witch. She knits, crochets and is a massage therapy student!! Of interest to me because I recently finished massage therapy school and am waiting to take the National Exam (which is required in my state) and hope to be licensed in January. It was just a 'small world' experience. Her blog is cool so check it out.
- I got this cool little booklet from the United Health Foundation and would like to put in quotes from it from time to time. It is called "Be Happy Be Healthy" Here is todays tip: Take a Walk One 40-minute walk can dramatically lower levels of tension and anxiety, and if you're interested in losing weight or keeping weight off, try brisk walking....Walking is easy on the joints, and whether you do it alone or with a friend, it's a great way to take a long, appreciative look at the world around you. For those interested, the booklet is free (it takes forever to get, but is put together nicely). Order it at www.unitedhealthfoundation.org
Have a great day everyone and enjoy your weekend (it's suppose to rain around here all weekend, but we need it badly). Peace~ DAWN
close up os yarn and stitch. I like this pattern because its not real pointy at the bottom like most shawls.
luna shawl plus the mohair yarn for another project
- Well, I have to admit, I've been a pretty good girl today. I actually took some meat out for dinner later (I so cheated yesterday and did nada), I've done a couple of loads of laundry (with a lot more to do, obviously-- 3 boys and a husband), and to top it off, I organized all my loose crochet patterns in a binder under headings!!! Wow! What to do for a reward? Hmmmmm....
- On the crochet front (cause ya know I didn't let that slack off) I finished one piece of the two piece project for one of my secret swaps. That is all I can say because she may check in here sometime. Let me just say this, I so want to keep this for myselt! but will power win out-- I will not keep it but will make one for me later. I can't keep everything, even though I'm tempted. It's cool, though.
- I'm waiting for my yarn from Elann's. Hopefully today, if not tomorrow. I want to start my Luna Shawl so badly!! I keep looking at the swatch I made up and thinking how good it is gonna look in it's actual size and with the tweed yarn. Aurgh! I'm practicing patience - although clearly not very well.
Okay, have a great day and play nice: Peace~DAWN
p.s thanks so much for all the great feedback on the poncho. I truely appreciate it!
- Hey happy Wednesday everyone! I finished the poncho I wrote about yesterday and I love it. It is so comfy and looks good with a lot of different color outfits because of the variation in the Lionbrand homespun. I used 4 different colors (just some in my stash) and it turned out pretty killer. Oh, I went to pick up my youngest from his sleepover this morning and I wore the poncho (cause I told you I'm cold blooded and needed some warmth). Well, his friends mom liked it so much, she's paying me to make her one. She wants more blues in hers so she can wear with jeans. Yeah for me. Hell, I was hoping for a compliment not a commission, but that works, too.
- don't eat at your computer - - I'm dropping stuff from my pistachios all over the keyboard. Shhhh, don't tell my kids
- They are having a great sale at Sally Beauty on funky hair colors if anyone is into that sort of thing. Beyond the Zone semi-permanent is $3.99 this month (I picked up 'crimson storm'- for streaking, who cares, I know). Their in store coupon book is really full of coupons this time lots of free stuff coupons, too.
......It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishements the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul. ~W.E. Henley
Lionbrand Poncho, yeah!
Check it out!
Found a New Mag
- Hey all! Went to the store this morning and found this new magazine and I am recommending You go out and find it and add to your stash!! Womans Day Quick and Easy Knitting and Crocheting. Fabulous!! They have equal time on knit and crochet projects. Sweaters, scarvesand hats, afghans, kid, teens, adults -- -- it is great, trust me and for $4.50, you can't go wrong. Finish reading this entry, and then go, go, go.....
- The piece of crochet work you see in the photo, which turned out to totally not resemble the original, is the popcorn pillow in Blue Mist that I am working on. Yeah! Mouse! she is also working in the same yarn on her own project :) In the photo, it looks like shells, but trust me- - it's a cluster stitch.
- I went through my stash of YARN yesterday, probably a mistake, but I did it anyway; I was amazed at how much homespun I have in various colors. I'm a color freak! anyway, I needed to do something with it, sooooooo I started the granny poncho on the Lionbrand website. I'm about half way finished with it. Very satisfied with how it is coming along. I believe it will be warm and hip to wear. That sounded completely non-hip to say, but there it is. Photo forth coming.
- We are meeting our oldest sons girlfried this weekend. We're taking her to Nashville with us to go shopping. Probably dinner too since it's like an hour away. Ah.....young love. His two other brothers will be in the truck, also, there will be very little time for cutesy first love stuff. Man, hope we don't put the scare into her- - we can be a lot to take on stable land, but a car trip, now that can be something else. Light candles if you have 'em.
- Go out and be creative today and say something nice to a stranger..... now, grab your car keys and get to the store for that magazine.
Have a good one~DAWN
Beautiful Autumn Day
- What a beautiful autumn day!! I love it when it is cool in the morning and then the sun takes over and warms up the afternoon. By dusk it will be chilly again and we can sleep with the windows open and let in some nite air. I posted a photo of the mums in my front garden that are full on right now!! Aren't they great. I love flowers!
- I'm about half way finished with the diagonal pattern for my sons afghan. Man oh man, I sure hope this thing turns out straight. It is looking a little cock-eyed right now and this is when I usually begin my panic and start ripping out stitches. This time I will have a little faith and see it through to the end. If nothing else the entire blanket will be diagonal, in keeping with the patterns theme. The pillow is slow going but I still love doing this stitch. It helps that I also love the yarn color. (I'm using love a lot, I know----must be in the air). It is called "blue mist" in the LB sport ease. It has so many subtle colors in it that your eyes are always picking up on a different hue depending on what is around you or what your wearing.
- I have lit some 'green tea' incense and it smells wonderful... I may need to go back to the store and get more of this one. I was a little skepticle of it before I lit it, but took a chance anyway and it payed off, yeah! I love to sit and crochet on a weekend afternoon when everyone else is busy with their own projects and entertainment. I sit in the livingroom with my incense and the day light pouring in the window and listen to nothing (and everything) all at once. It's a nice feeling having your family around and yet not having to deal with some crisis. That is bliss.
- Hope you all are having a great Sunday as well.
Old spirit, in and beyond me, keep, and extend me. Amid strangers, friends, great trees and big seas breaking, let love move me. Let me hear the whole music, see clear, reach deep. Open me to find due words, that I may shape them to ploughshares of my own making. After such luck, however late, give me to give to the oldest dance....Then to good sleep, and - if it happens - glad waking. ~Philip Booth
- Today I began the popcorn pillow from the Hip to Crochet book. I think they call it a honeycomb stitch, but it looks like popcorn to me. So far I am loving the way it looks. My son saw the beginnings of it and said it was cool and I could make some money making those for people. Yeah, if only I were in it for money. Drat. It is a great stitch were by to sit for prolong periods of time and meditate on just being.
- I confess that I have ordered more yarn from Elann. Some Shetland tweed to make a shawl I will call the "Luna Shawl". I can't wait to get the yarn so I can start this project. It is the coolest stitch pattern, if I do say so myself; not to mention the fingering weight tweed wool will feel so cozy to curl up in for reading and watching movies. I am cold blooded by nature and need to devive warmth from the sun, like a reptile. Anytime I sit still my body temperature drops significantly. Although, my husband says that it's like sleeping next to a furnice at nite next to me because I give off so much heat. Go figure; at least someone benefits. Anyway, the shawl will be greatly used this fall and winter. Also, I ordered some mohair yarn to make some scarves for gifts for some unknowing people. Can't wait till it gets here next week.
- We did pretty well in the yard sale. My boys got a nice pile of cash and my dad took out a bit and treated us all to lunch at the Craker Barrel. I ate way to much (I will admit that the Chocolate Cobbler put me over the edge--but it was totally delicious). What we didn't sell went to the Goodwill Store. Now we have to pick another day and do it all over again with the next load from the attic.Whew!
- Since I over-indulged at lunch, it is what we call around here "make your own nite"- - my little one couldn't be happier. He is having Mac-n-Cheese. I will be having alkaseltzer. We have movies to watch, so have a nice one and remember to play nice
- Good morning all. My dad is hard at work trying to sell all of the stuff from the attic to early morning yardsale goers. I guess he is doing pretty good. I poke my head out every now and then, it's to chilly out there for my blood.
- How do you like to Tapestry bag that I finished yesterday. All I have left to do is sew in the zipper and it is complete. I got the zipper at walmart last nite, so that is what I'm doing this morning. The purse is hanging from a nail on our back patio because I needed some natural light to get the shot right. Looks a little strange, I know. I love the way it turned out so I will definately be making one or two for Christmas gifts this year. Now, with that project complete, I get to start another one. Probably the "popcorn" pillow from Hip to Crochet. I love the look of that pillow and I got some wool-ease sport from the big Hobby Lobby sale in a cool blue that I want to work it in. Yeah.
- Photobucket is having some serious problems with some of their files. Mine have been interrupted, but thankfully not lost or destroyed like some, but I appoligize for the look of my page when the service is disrupted. Hopefully it gets worked out soon and not too many people are adversely affected. Got to check on my dad--have a good one.
Tapestry purse number one complete!